"Hero Surgeon Dies in Lake Michigan Rescue Despite Wife's Efforts to Revive Him"

Yes, definitely one of the

Yes, definitely one of the good ones, a hero all the way around. I think many, if not most doctors are that way inside. I guess that's what drives them to pursue medicine, often from an early age.

We have one on the forum, as well, who took up the call to duty following the earthquake in Haiti:

Local doctor returns from Haiti - Fox News
Dr. Todd Goes to Haiti - RateMDs forum

Not only did he volunteer his time, but he brought along a fortune in medical supplies.

On another occasion, he saved a fan's life at a Detroit Pistons basketball game. (more)

This is one reason golf was one of my preferred pastimes. Smiling

MicOnTheNorthShore

MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:

Yes, definitely one of the good ones, a hero all the way around. I think many, if not most doctors are that way inside. I guess that's what drives them to pursue medicine, often from an early age.

We have one on the forum, as well, who took up the call to duty following the earthquake in Haiti:

Local doctor returns from Haiti - Fox News
Dr. Todd Goes to Haiti - RateMDs forum

Not only did he volunteer his time, but he brought along a fortune in medical supplies.

On another occasion, he saved a fan's life at a Detroit Pistons basketball game. (more)

This is one reason golf was one of my preferred pastimes. Smiling

You know, in my mind, real heroes don't brag about their accomplishments and they don't seek out or accept special attention for the things they have done. They don't make a point of making sure that everybody knows what a Great Guy they (supposedly) are, and in fact they will ask others not to talk about that stuff either.

Katherine wrote: You know, in

Katherine wrote:

You know, in my mind, real heroes don't brag about their accomplishments and they don't seek out or accept special attention for the things they have done. They don't make a point of making sure that everybody knows what a Great Guy they (supposedly) are, and in fact they will ask others not to talk about that stuff either.

Katherine, whatever are you talking about?

None of that transpired that I know of, save perhaps regarding your last point.

Asking others to repeat or to not repeat something is as good as repeating it yourself. Anyone I know in such circumstance simply says nothing other than a polite acknowledgement and thank you.

MicOnTheNorthShore

MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:
Katherine wrote:

You know, in my mind, real heroes don't brag about their accomplishments and they don't seek out or accept special attention for the things they have done. They don't make a point of making sure that everybody knows what a Great Guy they (supposedly) are, and in fact they will ask others not to talk about that stuff either.

Katherine, whatever are you talking about?

None of that transpired that I know of, save perhaps regarding your last point.

Asking others to repeat or to not repeat something is as good as repeating it yourself. Anyone I know in such circumstance simply says nothing other than a polite acknowledgement and thank you.

Let's put the emphasis on "that you know of". Here's what I know. I know that those links are on his website and that he has in fact dedicated a page to each event. I know that they wouldn't be there if he didn't want them to be. I know that the Haiti link (at least) is on his ratings page and I know that he hasn't requested its removal. I also know that Dr. Todd Marcus does not hesitate to demand the removal of any rating that does not meet his high standards.

Katherine

Katherine wrote:
MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:
Katherine wrote:

You know, in my mind, real heroes don't brag about their accomplishments and they don't seek out or accept special attention for the things they have done. They don't make a point of making sure that everybody knows what a Great Guy they (supposedly) are, and in fact they will ask others not to talk about that stuff either.

Katherine, whatever are you talking about?

None of that transpired that I know of, save perhaps regarding your last point.

Asking others to repeat or to not repeat something is as good as repeating it yourself. Anyone I know in such circumstance simply says nothing other than a polite acknowledgement and thank you.

Let's put the emphasis on "that you know of". Here's what I know. I know that those links are on his website and that he has in fact dedicated a page to each event. I know that they wouldn't be there if he didn't want them to be. I know that the Haiti link (at least) is on his ratings page and I know that he hasn't requested its removal. I also know that Dr. Todd Marcus does not hesitate to demand the removal of any rating that does not meet his high standards.

What a toolish statement.

chrisaldridge

chrisaldridge wrote:
Katherine wrote:
MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:
Katherine wrote:

You know, in my mind, real heroes don't brag about their accomplishments and they don't seek out or accept special attention for the things they have done. They don't make a point of making sure that everybody knows what a Great Guy they (supposedly) are, and in fact they will ask others not to talk about that stuff either.

Katherine, whatever are you talking about?

None of that transpired that I know of, save perhaps regarding your last point.

Asking others to repeat or to not repeat something is as good as repeating it yourself. Anyone I know in such circumstance simply says nothing other than a polite acknowledgement and thank you.

Let's put the emphasis on "that you know of". Here's what I know. I know that those links are on his website and that he has in fact dedicated a page to each event. I know that they wouldn't be there if he didn't want them to be. I know that the Haiti link (at least) is on his ratings page [my emphasis] and I know that he hasn't requested its removal. I also know that Dr. Todd Marcus does not hesitate to demand the removal of any rating that does not meet his high standards.

What a toolish statement.

Placing one's accomplishments on a website does not constitute "bragging".

It's does, however, form a small part of one's curriculum vitae and shows the community one's actions. The links and pictorials on his webpages depict what he does, not simply what he says he wll do. That gives the community, his current and prospective patients and their parents some sense of who and what he is, and what sort of person, what sort of physician, they can expect. Why do you think it's called an "About" section?

On that note ......

To requote what Katherine previously wrote:

You know, in my mind, real heroes don't brag about their accomplishments and they don't seek out or accept special attention for the things they have done. They don't make a point of making sure that everybody knows what a Great Guy they (supposedly) are, and in fact they will ask others not to talk about that stuff either.

Like this?

http://www.ratemds.com/social/?q=node/54140 or http://www.ratemds.com/social?q=node/53328 or http://www.ratemds.com/social/?q=node/50981

Does RateMDs not have on its main page a list of news media outlets which favourably depict it?

How can you possibly know what he "does not hesitate" to do? After you show me your crystal ball, I'd love to see your proof of your negative hypothesis.

Before you do that, perhaps you could provide me a reference (link?) to the "Haiti link" on his ratings page.

MicOnTheNorthShore

MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:
chrisaldridge wrote:
Katherine wrote:
MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:
Katherine wrote:

You know, in my mind, real heroes don't brag about their accomplishments and they don't seek out or accept special attention for the things they have done. They don't make a point of making sure that everybody knows what a Great Guy they (supposedly) are, and in fact they will ask others not to talk about that stuff either.

Katherine, whatever are you talking about?

None of that transpired that I know of, save perhaps regarding your last point.

Asking others to repeat or to not repeat something is as good as repeating it yourself. Anyone I know in such circumstance simply says nothing other than a polite acknowledgement and thank you.

Let's put the emphasis on "that you know of". Here's what I know. I know that those links are on his website and that he has in fact dedicated a page to each event. I know that they wouldn't be there if he didn't want them to be. I know that the Haiti link (at least) is on his ratings page [my emphasis] and I know that he hasn't requested its removal. I also know that Dr. Todd Marcus does not hesitate to demand the removal of any rating that does not meet his high standards.

What a toolish statement.

Placing one's accomplishments on a website does not constitute "bragging".

It's does, however, form a small part of one's curriculum vitae and shows the community one's actions. The links and pictorials on his webpages depict what he does, not simply what he says he wll do. That gives the community, his current and prospective patients and their parents some sense of who and what he is, and what sort of person, what sort of physician, they can expect. Why do you think it's called an "About" section?

On that note ......

To requote what Katherine previously wrote:

You know, in my mind, real heroes don't brag about their accomplishments and they don't seek out or accept special attention for the things they have done. They don't make a point of making sure that everybody knows what a Great Guy they (supposedly) are, and in fact they will ask others not to talk about that stuff either.

Like this?

http://www.ratemds.com/social/?q=node/54140 or http://www.ratemds.com/social?q=node/53328 or http://www.ratemds.com/social/?q=node/50981

Does RateMDs not have on its main page a list of news media outlets which favourably depict it?

Of course, but nowhere on it will you see us talking about our 'heroic' efforts.

Quote:

How can you possibly know what he "does not hesitate" to do? After you show me your crystal ball, I'd love to see your proof of your negative hypothesis.

Its called Private Messaging and Email. I'd quote it but then everybody here would have a hissy fit.

Quote:

Before you do that, perhaps you could provide me a reference (link?) to the "Haiti link" on his ratings page.

Okay, I stand corrected. Its been removed since the last time I was on his page. It was there though.

But all this detracts from my original point: Real heroes do not consider themselves to be heroes. Real heroes are people who voluntarily put their lives on the line because they are incapable of simply standing aside. Then later, when people praise the hero for their actions, they are genuinely mystified by this and usually responds with, "Well, what was I supposed to do?"

Its great that Dr. Todd Marcus went to Haiti. That is very commendable. And the Piston's fan was lucky to have his heart attack in a large arena where there were at least two doctors on hand. But good deeds a hero does not make.

I'm sorry, but that's just what I believe.

Katherine

Katherine wrote:
MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:
Katherine wrote:

You know, in my mind, real heroes don't brag about their accomplishments and they don't seek out or accept special attention for the things they have done. They don't make a point of making sure that everybody knows what a Great Guy they (supposedly) are, and in fact they will ask others not to talk about that stuff either.

Katherine, whatever are you talking about?

None of that transpired that I know of, save perhaps regarding your last point.

Asking others to repeat or to not repeat something is as good as repeating it yourself. Anyone I know in such circumstance simply says nothing other than a polite acknowledgement and thank you.

Let's put the emphasis on "that you know of". Here's what I know. I know that those links are on his website and that he has in fact dedicated a page to each event. I know that they wouldn't be there if he didn't want them to be. I know that the Haiti link (at least) is on his ratings page and I know that he hasn't requested its removal. I also know that Dr. Todd Marcus does not hesitate to demand the removal of any rating that does not meet his high standards.

This is just ridiculous.

Aren't you still a moderator ?

These types of posts are completely inappropriate, considering that you are supposed to be conducting a fair and impartial review of a physician's "ratings" - one of whom you are now slamming.

How can doctors ( or the general public ) honestly be expected to take this site seriously, when one of its administrators is obviously psychologically unbalanced ?

Katherine

Katherine wrote:
MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:

Does RateMDs not have on its main page a list of news media outlets which favourably depict it?

Of course, but nowhere on it will you see us talking about our 'heroic' efforts.

So, your definition of where boundaries should be drawn, should apply to others? It's okay, though, to provide a technological means to allow defamation? The event was covered by the local and national media, and it would be of interest to the community serviced by his medical practice.

Katherine wrote:
MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:

How can you possibly know what he "does not hesitate" to do? After you show me your crystal ball, I'd love to see your proof of your negative hypothesis.

Its called Private Messaging and Email. I'd quote it but then everybody here would have a hissy fit.

Well, that's certainly tellng. Hissy fit? If you were behind a keyboard in doing so, in many countries outside the US, you'd be subject to civil and possibly criminal liability for such an act. As it stands, you could be subject to the provisions of California privacy law, to which RateMDs, Inc. is subject.

Either way, you cannot in this universe possibly know what somone does not do or intend to do. However, if you should discover some way to prove a negative hypotheis, let me know. We could perhaps apply this new reality and joint venture with some folks I know who claim that they absolutely, positively, can make perpetual motion work.

Katherine wrote:
MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:

Before you do that, perhaps you could provide me a reference (link?) to the "Haiti link" on his ratings page.

Okay, I stand corrected. Its been removed since the last time I was on his page. It was there though.

Evidently.

MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:

MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:

As it stands, you could be subject to the provisions of California privacy law, to which RateMDs, Inc. is subject.

Oblig: I am not a lawyer, etc. Are you a member of the CA bar?

I don't know, it appears kiddoc has spent a considerable amount of time and effort to make his struggles with RateMDs very public, so it could easily be argued that anything to do with his ratings is a public issue by his own hand. No other doctor on this forum has even come close to how much he's publicized this, to my knowledge.

Also, I don't see how this could be considered "highly offensive," since we are talking about someone who apparently takes DAILY screen shots of his ratings and VIDEOTAPES his patient(s) to back up the ratings... it is not much of a leap to think that he would also quickly challenge a rating that is not up to snuff, if he even has any.

I think it would be quite remarkable if kiddoc allowed a sub-par rating to stand without immediate challenge, actually, based on his public behavior here. He's so intense about his positive ratings, are we expected to believe he would not also be intense about other ratings (again, if there even are any)?

Also #2, kiddoc had already publicized part of a private message that Katherine sent to him, if I'm not mistaken.

Too bad about the derail. The doc in the OP sounds like he was a fine person.

ChrisAldridge wrote: How can

ChrisAldridge wrote:

How can doctors ( or the general public ) honestly be expected to take this site seriously, when one of its administrators is obviously psychologically unbalanced ?

Katherine, I have to wonder why you did not respond to this. Had it been anyone else you would have been all over them. I don’t get it?? Puzzled

For the record, I would absolutely have a hissy fit if you posted anyone’s emails or PM’s for any reason. To even make such a suggestive comment was unacceptable.

I am not going to go into the definition of a hero, but what kiddoc did was admirable and should not have been diminished in any way. I often have seen articles about a doctor posted on a wall in the waiting room. I never have thought they were bragging.

And kudos to Dr. Donald Liu too.

gagal wrote: ChrisAldridge

gagal wrote:
ChrisAldridge wrote:

How can doctors ( or the general public ) honestly be expected to take this site seriously, when one of its administrators is obviously psychologically unbalanced ?

Katherine, I have to wonder why you did not respond to this. Had it been anyone else you would have been all over them. I don’t get it?? Puzzled

Kat must have considered the source.

wishandaprayer wrote: gagal

wishandaprayer wrote:
gagal wrote:
ChrisAldridge wrote:

How can doctors ( or the general public ) honestly be expected to take this site seriously, when one of its administrators is obviously psychologically unbalanced ?

Katherine, I have to wonder why you did not respond to this. Had it been anyone else you would have been all over them. I don’t get it?? Puzzled

Kat must have considered the source.

I think it is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

gagal wrote: For the record,

gagal wrote:

For the record, I would absolutely have a hissy fit if you [Katherine] posted anyone’s emails or PM’s for any reason. To even make such a suggestive comment was unacceptable.

And yet, it is perfectly OK and acceptable that kiddoc posted at least part of a pm from Katherine to him?

He did it here: http://www.ratemds.com/social/?q=node/56525#comment-219673

gagal wrote:

And kudos to Dr. Donald Liu too.

Yes, what a loss.

m130 wrote: gagal wrote: For

m130 wrote:
gagal wrote:

For the record, I would absolutely have a hissy fit if you [Katherine] posted anyone’s emails or PM’s for any reason. To even make such a suggestive comment was unacceptable.

And yet, it is perfectly OK and acceptable that kiddoc posted at least part of a pm from Katherine to him?

He did it here: http://www.ratemds.com/social/?q=node/56525#comment-219673

Rights to privacy are not equal between a user/patient/client/customer and administration/management. Publishing of PMs between RateMDs administration and a user involves the privacy of the user. Administration does not, by definition, enjoy the same right vis-a-vis its interaction with users.

Kiddoc was not breaching Katherine's privacy in publishing her PM to him regarding an administrative matter pertaining to his rating. She had written to him in her capacity as an admin.

However, the same would not hold true of an administrator making public a user's correspondance.

m130 wrote: gagal wrote: For

m130 wrote:
gagal wrote:

For the record, I would absolutely have a hissy fit if you [Katherine] posted anyone’s emails or PM’s for any reason. To even make such a suggestive comment was unacceptable.

And yet, it is perfectly OK and acceptable that kiddoc posted at least part of a pm from Katherine to him?

He did it here: http://www.ratemds.com/social/?q=node/56525#comment-219673

Where did I say it was okay for kiddoc to post any of Katherine's messages?

I don't think it is ever acceptable to post messages and use them against another person or even make that suggestion.

A moderator has access to private information which the rest of us do not. So in that regards I hold them to a higher standard.

I hope Dr. Donald Liu's family is doing well. I feel sorry for his children.

MicOnTheNorthShore

MicOnTheNorthShore wrote:

Kiddoc was not breaching Katherine's privacy in publishing her PM to him regarding an administrative matter pertaining to his rating. She had written to him in her capacity as an admin.

I disagree. I would agree with you if this was a government or publicly owned site, but it's not. This is a privately owned site, so I generally agree with what gagal wrote.

Kiddoc even refers to it as a "PM" in his post, and demonstrates knowledge of what PM means (private message) in another post.

http://www.ratemds.com/social/?q=node/56012#comment-218979

kiddoc wrote:

please tell me you were just asking what the letters "PM" stood for..as in private message...

and you just werent aware that the messenging system here was called "PM"

So I guess we're not having

So I guess we're not having Thankgiving dinner at your place this year?

kiddoc wrote: So I guess

kiddoc wrote:

So I guess we're not having Thankgiving dinner at your place this year?

lol...

Katherine wrote: kiddoc

Katherine wrote:
kiddoc wrote:

So I guess we're not having Thankgiving dinner at your place this year?

lol...

Another wink.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.