retaliation by doctors after a complaint is filed?

Several weeks ago, I wrote regarding my kneecap which was fractured and badly misdiagnosed by an orthopedist with an attitude.After waiting until I was just about healed, I contacted the state medical board and gave exact details of what occured.Toay, after just the weekend had passed after writing the letter, I was contacted by an investigator who plans on following up.Even if he gets off with the proverbial slap on the wrist, which I don't think will happen in this case, he will, at the very least, have a complaint filed against him which will show up if anyone wants to check him out. My biggest concern,now, is becoming blacklisted by the medical community. My husband thought I was crazy to mention this to the investigator, but she responded that it's a chance you take.It's hard to believe that this happens, but after reading many of your posts, I know that it could.I am going forward regardless, because this doctor needs to be stopped before he does it again.I found three cases filed against him in the courts, but it seems he either paid them off or had a good lawyer.Has anyone out there had the experience of being blacklisted, and if so, what did you do?

Blacklisting a patient does

Blacklisting a patient does happen. You will figure it out very quickly. It is just more medical abuse in
my opinion.

BEWARE you could be left in a critically ill condition without medical help. And everyone will turn a blind eye.

hello there. I can tell you

hello there. I can tell you as a matter of fact. that YOU can be blackballed it is still happening to me with pain management I was talking with this one staff member and I said (so I am being black balled ) and she said (yah oh I did not say that) that is illegal but it is so hard to prove the dr that is black balling me will not give me my medical records I have filed complaints to no avail. so good luck

Are you a doctor or a

Are you a doctor or a patient who has been retaliated against?seems to me that if a patient allows this to happen because of fear of retaliation,the doc wins which is how people like me wind up with incompetent,uncaring docs.I'll take my chances.someone like this should not be allowed to get away with this.next time,it could be a lot worse and someone could be killed by his arrogance.if someone else had reported him,I never would have gone there.

bass ackwards

bass ackwards wrote:

Blacklisting a patient does happen. You will figure it out very quickly. It is just more medical abuse in my opinion.

BEWARE you could be left in a critically ill condition without medical help. And everyone will turn a blind eye.

Certainly, blacklisting does happen in medicine, as it does elsewhere. However, someone in a critically ill condition is more than likely to be in an ER and no "blacklisting" of a patient would be honoured by ER medical staff. I have seen a situation where an ER physician assessed a patient as being less emergent than claimed, and the nurses came to the patient's aid.

gihurt.com wrote:

hello there. I can tell you as a matter of fact. that YOU can be blackballed it is still happening to me with pain management I was talking with this one staff member and I said (so I am being black balled ) and she said (yah oh I did not say that) that is illegal but it is so hard to prove the dr that is black balling me will not give me my medical records I have filed complaints to no avail. so good luck

Pain patients, particularly those receiving treatment in the form of narcotic analgesics, can very easily find themselves in a situation where they "feel" blackballed. Sometimes, too, there is merit in feeling such. However, CPPs have an obligation, perhaps more so, than other patients to work closely with their treating physician. It takes very little in deviation from the normal acceptable behaviour to set up a red flag with their doctor, and this is not unreasonable, considering the scrutiny placed by the DEA on pain management physicians in the US. Often, it's simply the nature of the beast.

zonie1 Sheesh investigator

zonie1

Sheesh
investigator actually said
"it's a chance you take"????

What more would a patient need...to prove that
blacklisting exists?
I for one know from experience that they do
share information - and there is a "list" of
what they label "litigous" patients.
That means a complaint was filed or a suit
is in progress.
When it is happening to you - it's quite subtle
but later --- in hindsight -- it hits you~

When a dr.knows a patient has a complaint against
another colleague and LIES on a medical record to paint a
patient as uncooperative or some other derogatory
remark - that is because it is more ammunition for
the colleague to use in a defense case.

I want to add more here -about a recent experience
but not sure I can delete it later?
I know I can delete my own thread - but not sure
about a "response" in someone else's thread???
Would somebody please comment on this?

Blacklisting is very real. I

Blacklisting is very real. I had a very serious infection misdiagnosed over two years ago and filed a complaint against the doctor not only for that but for a breach in confidentiality. Not only is the issue still unresolved but it is a black cloud that follows me everywhere and basically the same mistake keeps getting repeated over and over again. I keep getting repeatedly told "the doctor stands by his opinion" and there is nothing I can do but wait. It's a bit of a limbo right now but I hope to get this resolved soon. It is frusterating and I can't give any advice except to seek out a patient advocate if applicable (I'm from Canada and I realize that advice is not valid everywhere. I am not sure if they have such a thing in the States for free) They can tell you were to direct any further writings and how to get the most effect. But I agree with the other posters when they say that it is worth the risk to ensure that it doesn't happen to other people.
What was reccomended to me was to read what was written in my chart. There is a retieval fee but it is worth it to see exactly what you are up against so you can have the proper dates and names when you are writing your letter. As far as I know you have as much right to the charts as the doctor and they can't refuse you (Again States vs Canadian law?)
I hope you get it all sorted out. I hope this helps.

MicOnTheNorthShore

MicOnTheNorthShore][quote=bass ackwards wrote:

Blacklisting a patient does happen. You will figure it out very quickly. It is just more medical abuse in my opinion.

BEWARE you could be left in a critically ill condition without medical help. And everyone will turn a blind eye.

ess emergenCertainly, blacklisting does happen in medicine, as it does elsewhere. However, someone in a critically ill condition is more than likely to be in an ER and no "blacklisting" of a patient would be honoured by ER medical staff. I have seen a situation where an ER physician assessed a patient as being lt than claimed, and the nurses came to the patient's aid.

gihurt.com wrote:

hello there. I can tell you as a matter of fact. that YOU can be blackballed it is still happening to me with pain management I was talking with this one staff member and I said (so I am being black balled ) and she said (yah oh I did not say that) that is illegal but it is so hard to prove the dr that is black balling me will not give me my medical records I have filed complaints to no avail. so good luck

Pain patients, particularly those receiving treatment in the form of narcotic analgesics, can very easily find themselves in a situation where they "feel" blackballed. Sometimes, too, there is merit in feeling such. However, CPPs have an obligation, perhaps more so, than other patients to work closely with their treating physician. It takes very little in deviation from the normal acceptable behaviour to set up a red flag with their doctor, and this is not unreasonable, considering the scrutiny placed by the DEA on pain management physicians in the US. Often, it's simply the nature of the beast.
[/quot

Mic, as I have stated that you could be left in a critically ill condition without medical help . If you have been blacklisted and then go to an ER with a medical emergency,you will see what happens.
The care,tests and treatment will not be given.
And you may get the wrong care intentionally. Then you could be left in a critically ill condition,disabled physically and mentally with your body and brain being starve of oxygen and nutrients and everyone will turn a blind
eye to this type of behavior. I know this as fact....

bass ackwards wrote: Mic,

bass ackwards wrote:

Mic, as I have stated that you could be left in a critically ill condition without medical help . If you have been blacklisted and then go to an ER with a medical emergency,you will see what happens.
The care,tests and treatment will not be given.
And you may get the wrong care intentionally. Then you could be left in a critically ill condition,disabled physically and mentally with your body and brain being starve of oxygen and nutrients and everyone will turn a blind
eye to this type of behavior. I know this as fact....

Bass, please excercise care in quoting me!

How do you know this "for a fact"? We you left in an ER "in a critically ill condition, disabled physically and mentally with your body and brain being starved of oxygen ... "?

Were you a witness to such an event, and didn't act, or did it happen to you, and somehow you can manage to function without oxygen?

Imalert

Imalert wrote:

zonie1

Sheesh
investigator actually said
"it's a chance you take"????

What more would a patient need...to prove that
blacklisting exists?
I for one know from experience that they do
share information - and there is a "list" of
what they label "litigous" patients.
That means a complaint was filed or a suit
is in progress.
When it is happening to you - it's quite subtle
but later --- in hindsight -- it hits you~

When a dr.knows a patient has a complaint against
another colleague and LIES on a medical record to paint a
patient as uncooperative or some other derogatory
remark - that is because it is more ammunition for
the colleague to use in a defense case.

I want to add more here -about a recent experience
but not sure I can delete it later?
I know I can delete my own thread - but not sure
about a "response" in someone else's thread???
Would somebody please comment on this?

Hi IMalert. What you could do is to start your own thread, and if you need to, copy and past some quotes there from this or other threads. That way you have the option at any time of deleting the entire thread. Wouldn't that work?

After what happened to me at Hopkins, my cardiologist in Annapolis was clearly on the defense. I decided to switch to another local cardiologist in another practice. I had my records forwarded from the old cardiologists office. I later requested a copy of that chart. There was a cover letter which stated (warned) that I had a lawsuit against Hugh Calkins at Johns Hopkins hospital. I think that was an unnecessary and harmful transfer of information, and probably against HIPAA regulations.

I agree 100% with bass. I

I agree 100% with bass. I have been sent home from the ER in respiratory failure. I had to be rushed back and was very ill and came close to being intubated, placed on a non-rebreather mask. Yes, this happens to blacklisted patients. If one doctor creates any problems, I'm certain they have patients red flagged and in some cases the family, especially if a formal complaint were made. CBC Market Place did a show about this some years back. The reporter told families stories, warning people that not only the but their entire family could have difficulty finding any doctor to treat them. Now with a shortage of physicians, good luck.

We're all screwed up with

We're all screwed up with the boxes now on this thread too. What is happening to us?

Zonie,
I've never filed a formal complaint with a state entity, but I did file a complaint against a doctor in a large, multi-speciality practice (about 125 doctors). I never had a problem with my other doctors there, even the ones that were partners. I've also dropped doctors in the same practice, again without a problem with the other doctors. I am not naive and I believe that blacklisting happens, but I also believe that there are doctors who ignore things like this (who knows, maybe in your case, they might be glad someone finally turned the guy in). Good luck.

In good news, I'm glad you're finally healing. I remember your original post and how much pain you were in just a few weeks ago. I hope your healing process continues to go as well as can be expected.

rockygirl wrote: We're all

rockygirl wrote:

We're all screwed up with the boxes now on this thread too. What is happening to us?

Zonie,
I've never filed a formal complaint with a state entity, but I did file a complaint against a doctor in a large, multi-speciality practice (about 125 doctors). I never had a problem with my other doctors there, even the ones that were partners. I've also dropped doctors in the same practice, again without a problem with the other doctors. I am not naive and I believe that blacklisting happens, but I also believe that there are doctors who ignore things like this (who knows, maybe in your case, they might be glad someone finally turned the guy in). Good luck.

In good news, I'm glad you're finally healing. I remember your original post and how much pain you were in just a few weeks ago. I hope your healing process continues to go as well as can be expected.

Thanks for your positive

Thanks for your positive comments,rockygirl. I have total documentation, including written reports and all of my ex-rays, which clearly show that this doctor's assessment fell far below the standard of care.It would be very hard for someone to fudge these signed reports, and the board is taking it very seriously.An investigator was assigned, and they are gathering up all documention pertaining to this case.Everything I have is 100% documented, right down to the times and words used. If his attorney wants to lie, it will be hard for him to do so, because so many others are involved. In addition, after sending me on my way with an appointment for 3 weeks later, he would be hard pressed to explain why he recommended nothing to be placed on my knee.
After reading all of your comments above, I've decided to try and locate a doctor for myself in case of need.I have enough trouble with them accepting Medicare as my primary(I'm on S.S. Disability) without the additional burden of my complaint.So far, I've been unable to get into the Mayo Clinic in AZ because of insurance, but they've given me a list of others who used to work for the Mayo and are probably right out of school. I have nothing against that, but from experience, their lack of expertise with handling patients does show.
I'll continue to fight against this doctor, and if I'm blacklisted, these doctors would not be ones i would want anyway.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.